Sunday, December 31, 2017

Top 50 Lps of the Year!

Image result for spongebob list of things to do with squidward
Its been a good year. A lot of music came out, and it's always tough to narrow it down to your favorites. For me and my wide variety of interests, it can be very difficult which is why I made it a top 50 this year. Big thanks to all my friends who participated in posting their top albums. I really had fun with it and you guys showed me a few I added on mine. I started this blog at the beginning of summer and have gotten endless support ever since. This isn't made as a project for school or an attempt to become famous, its just a passion I never knew I had and its become a hobby for me. Thank you to all my friends, the bands who share, whoever the people in europe are that read this, and anyone else. It means a lot to me. So here it is, my favorite LPs that came out this year:

50.Makthaverskan - III
Genre: Indie/Post -Punk/Dream pop

Image result for makthaverskan iii

A swedish band on Run for Cover records is very out of the ordinary. A band sounding like this is as well. I always enjoy hearing bands bend togethre different genres to create something very magnificent like this.

49.He is Legend - Few
Genre: Southern rock/Post- Hardcore FFO: Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Every Time I die

Image result for he is legend few

Hearing the name He is Legend in 2017 just feels weird but I never get tired of music I grew up with. He is Legend are back and keep their brand of southern post hardcore that kept them the same rep for years.


48. Iron Monkey 9-13
Genre: Sludge/doom FFO: EyeHateGod, Crowbar, Grief

Image result for iron monkey 9-13

In my experiences, I've learned Relapse Records can never do wrong. The UK's Iron Monkey are back after a long break up and bring back their heavy brand of deafening sludge metal. Nothing has changed about their sound but hearing a newer album after ,many years you can easily hear how the times have changed in terms of production.

47. Monarch! - Never Forever
Genre: Drone/Doom Metal FFO: Sunn O))), Thou, Moss

Monarch - Never Forever

I found out about France's Monarch! from their counterpart Rainbow of Death. Same members but complete opposite sound. Never Forever is another deafening album that will blurr your vision and make you understand a Richter scale.

46. BURN - Do or Die
Genre: Hardcore FFO: American Nightmare, Killing Time, Sevendust

Image result for burn do or die

BURN's long awaited first LP. Honestly not what I expected it to be. All I can think of when listening to this album is American Nightmare meets Sevendust which is definitely not a bad thing.  Still keeps that classic BURN structure but still demonstrates why some call them a progressive hardcore band.

45. Heaven in her Arms - White Halo
Genre: Screamo/Post-Rock FFO: envy, Russian Circles

Image result for heaven in her arms white halo

A little disappointed that HIHA dropped the black metal influence from the last album, but nonetheless, White Halo brings back the emotional post rock influenced screamo band that I fell in love with in the first place. This album probably could've made it higher but I can't help but compare to the last release being better. My fault.

44. Pillorian - Obsidian Arc
Genre: Black Metal FFO: Wolves in the Throne Room, Abigail Williams

Image result for pillorian obsidian arc

I'm still super upset about Agalloch's break up but I'm happy to have found out that John Haugm went on to be in Pillorian. Definitely a change of pace. Imagine if The Mantle was released by Wolves in the Throne Room. If you feel the way I do about Agalloch I would drown your sorrows in Pillorian.

43. Fange - Pourrissoir
Genre: Blackened Sludge/Crust FFO: Coffinworm, Young and in the Way, This Gift is a Curse

Fange - Pourrissoir

Ignore the fact that the cover looks like a butthole. I've already stated some stuff about this release on the halloween playlist, but still these guys are a force that really gets you hooked immediately. France is really coming through this year with some hits.

42. All Pigs Must Die - Hostage Animal
Genre: Blackened Metalcore/Crossover/Crust FFO: Black Breath, Cursed, Integrity
Image result for all pigs must die hostage animal
Boston's own APMD release their strongest album to date. I remember seeing a list of bands influencing this album alone and it was a collection of black and doom metal bands and out of all of them I only knew two. Thats how you know this band is metal. Combining elements from different metal genres and having a strong hardcore foundation is what Hostage Animal is all about. APMD played a very violent set back in sepetember with these songs.

41. Tchornobog - Self Titled
Genre: Black/Death/Doom Metal FFO: Blood Incantation, Spectral Voice, Behemoth



A very strong first release from one man project Tchornobog. A spectacular blend of different genres of metal. I'm almost shocked to find out this is an american project. This release is four songs weighing in at over an hour. definitely a record to hear from front to back.

40. Pallbearer - Heartless
Genre: Doom Metal FFO: Candlemass, Khemmis, Warning

Pallbearer - Heartless

Pallbearer are back with probably their strongest release yet. Each track is heavy and full of emotion guaranteed to break your heart as if you've never had one to begin with.

39. Paramore - After Laughter

Image result for paramore after laughter

I've been a fan of Paramore since I first heard "Pressure" playing The Sims 2. I fell in love with their pop punk sound. After hearing the self titled album a few years back I felt like they lost their edge and almost didn't bother listening to this one. Then Hard Times played on the radio at work and my coworker said " I'm liking the direction Paramore is going in" and I couldn't believe it was Paramore playing. It is impossible to listen to this album and feel negative. Paramore have out grown the pop punk attitude and evolved into an 80s pop influenced band. A very cool change of pace I haven't heard anything negative about it yet.

38. Usnea - Portals into Futility
Genre: Funeral Doom FFO: Bell Witch, Ahab, Lycus

Usnea - Portals into Futility

Doom metal is really making a break thru this year. Portals into Futility is yet another Relapse release. Usnea bring a little something different and add more atmosphere and hints of black metal into this record. I know everyone's been getting big into doom metal this year so I'd say give this a shot.

37. Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing
Genre: Death/Doom Metal FFO: Blood Incantation, Inverloch, Phobocosm

Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

Spectral Voice is another band with a very strong debut album. While containing a majority of members from Blood Incantation, you can distinguish the sound between the two bands but can definitely tell its them. The album primarily stays more on the death metal side but still gives off doom influence.

36. AmenRa - Mass VI
Genre: Sludge/Doom/Metalcore FFO: Neurosis, Buried Inside

Image result for amenra mass vi

AmenRa continue to bring destruction and despair with the sixth episode of Mass. The energy and visual of hearing some of these songs live over the summer was mind blowing. A very black and white sound that emphasizes how horrible life really is.

35. Bathsheba - Servus
Genre:Doom Metal FFO: SubRosa, Dark Castle, Windhand

Bathsheba - Servus

Again thelookout recommends great music to me. Bathsheba are a blegian doom metal that do the genre different than most but in a way similar to bands like Dark Castle. Nothing I love more than when a band makes a genre their own. The poetic occult lyrics are always a gold star in my book as well.

34. Stick to your Guns - True View
Genre: Melodic Hardcore/Metalcore FFO: Ignite, Comeback Kid, Evergreen Terrace

Related image

I'm just as surprise as you are for this record to be this high on the list. STYG meant a lot to me in high school and I remember hearing of Josh James (ex- Evergreen Terrace, ex-Casey Jones, Eighteen Visions) joining the band and I got super excited considering ET is one of my favorite bands of all time and Casey Jones was the band that made me edge. I thought Diamond was good but nothing special and Disobedient was just not my speed. However True View takes advantage of his guitar work more and its very noticeable. My personal favorite track, 56, is a song that just straight up sounds like Ignite. The record hooks you in from the beginning and ends on a strong note. True View is a good comeback from where STYG have gone.

33. Integrity - Howling, for the Nightmare Shall Consume
Genre: Metalcore FFO: Ringworm, Pulling Teeth, Buried Alive

Image result for howling for the nightmare shall consume

It took me a while to actually give this album a listen. My expectations weren't very high because of how I felt towards Suicide Black Snake, but good to see Integrity blew my expectation out of proportion. Howling is one of the most evil sounding albums they've put out to date and definitely reminiscent of classic Integrity.

32. Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper
Genre: Funeral Doom FFO: Shape of Despair, Skepticism

Image result for mirror reaper

If there's one band I've seen get a lot of attention this year, it's Bell Witch. Mirror reaper showcases Bell Witch's two best qualities well: heaviness and despair. If you listen to this album, you must finish it to understand why its so incredible. One track, over an hour long. I got to hear it played in full live and it was incredible.

31. Deafcult - Auras
Genre: Shoegaze FFO: My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Nothing

Image result for deafcult auras
A lot of shoegaze has either been slipping under my radar or just not sticking out to me this year. Deafcult showed me the genre is still alive and well. Auras is a very 90s sounding shoegaze sound with that classic echoing vocals and fuzzy guitar.

30. Spotlights - Seismic
Genre: Post-Metal/Shoegaze/Doom/Alt Rock FFO: True Widow, Deftones

 Image result for spotlights seismic
This album I discovered through Tommy's top albums in metal and the description he gave I thought was very interesting and I had to check it out. As usual, he knows his stuff. Spotlights are a very different approach to heavy music bending all types of genres into one. I can't imagine how this band is only two people and on top of that, they're a married couple.

29.Loss- Horizonless
Genre - Funeral Doom FFO: Lycus, Evoken, Ahab
Image result for loss horizonless
If there's one thing I've learned, a lot of metal bands with the name being just one simple word can do so much with their music. Doom metal devils, Loss, bring despair even more than the others with Horizonless. Since most are getting into this type of music through Bell Witch, I would highly recommend this album if you need more.

28. SZA - CTRL
Genre: RnB
Image result for sza ctrl

I'll admit I'm not much for RnB music, but there's some I can get into. SZA sticks out to me with her beautiful voice and her tropical sounding beats. This album will hook you in just from the first song and keep you listening throughout as you go on and hear the octaves she hits.

27.Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Genre: Progressive Stoner/Doom FFO: Yob, Baroness, Pallbearer
Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Elder really out did themselves with this one. Presenting a more progressive sound but not straying far from their roots, Elder will take you on a mythical journey to the edge of the earth in Reflections of a Floating World.

26. Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life
Genre: Indie Pop FFO: Marina and the Diamonds, Lorde, Florence + the Machine
Image result for lana del rey lust for life

You can't go wrong with Lana. I gotta admit, unlike Zach and Billy, I was impressed hearing Love and the titletrack when they were first released but not as impressed with Coachella. Regardless, I had to give it a listen and all the way through is as beautiful as she looks. I'd say this is her best release after Born to Die if you want my opinion.

25.  Lil Uzi Vert - LUV is Rage 2
Genre: Rap FFO: Future, Playboi Carti, Marilyn Manson
Image result for lil uzi vert luv is rage 2

The world of "Mumble rap" is very dull to me. Lil Uzi Vert is a shining star in the dark sky of mumble rap. Uzi shows he's not afraid to use satanic and occult imagery in his music and states Marilyn Manson as his biggest inspiration. Manson actually praises his music and states "He has the same attitude I did when I was younger". Nothing makes me happier than a rapper as dark as Uzi getting recognition despite his views. LUV is Rage 2 is an absolute banger from front to back and ends perfectly with his single XO TOUR LIF3.

24. Planning for Burial - Below the House
Genre: Shoegaze/Drone/Sludge/Post-Metal FFO: Have a Nice Life, Cloakroom

Image result for planning for burial below the house

Another very unique album. Below the House is a masterpiece done by one man and influenced by multiple genres. primarily its mostly droney shoegaze but every song showcases different genres that are very noticeable and just make you say 'wow' out loud.

23. Bison - You are not the Ocean, You are the Patient
Genre: Progressive Post-Metal FFO: Mastodon, Howl, Black Tusk

 Image result for bison you are not the ocean
Bison (Formally Bison B.C.) are back with another strong release to add to their ever growing powerful discography. You are not the Ocean showcases the same sound you would expect from early Mastodon albums such as Leviathan or remission with the aggressive sludge metal but also add more atmosphere to the music. This release is an adventure from front to back.

22. Grave Pleasures - Motherblood
Genre: Progresive Metal/Post-Punk FFO: Beastmilk, The Vision Bleak
Image result for grave pleasures motherblood

I found out about this album when Grave Pleasures were added to Roadburn fest. Motherblood definitely showcases the whole "Metal for people who don't like metal" but unlike Ghost, it has more flavor and honestly, I feel like I could dance to some songs. Motherblood definitely has some pop influence to it and the album really can make you smile. I can't get tired of the song 'Be my Hiroshima'.

21. Full of Hell - Trumpeting Ecstasy
Genre: Death Metal/Noise/Grind/Hardcore FFO: Nails, Dead in the Dirt, The Body 
Image result for full of hell trumpeting

Full of Hell's ever growing popularity sky rockets with Trumpeting Ecstasy. This album hooks you right in and will shock you until the very end. The drums are fast, the riffs are vicious, the lyrics are terrifying, the vocals are horrifying. Trumpeting ecstasy introduce a more death metal influenced sound and make better use of the noise and feedback than previous albums. Got to see these guys three times this year and each performance was more riveting than the last.

20. Anathema - The Optimist
Genre: Atmospheric/Alternative Rock
Image result for anathema the optimist

Anathema were once one of the pioneers of death doom metal along with others, but eventually took their music in a different direction. Instead of staying metal like their brothers in Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, Anathema took an alternative rock approach. The Optimist does their newer direction more justice by displaying even more atmosphere. Its the type of thing where you just listen to it and know that they were once metal. Whether you enjoy the doom metal era more, The Optimist is a good change of pace that make you appreciate the efforts they make.

19. Rosetta - Utopioid
Genre: Atmospheric Post-Metal FFO: ISIS (the band), Mouth of the Architect, Year of no Light
Image result for rosetta utopioid

Rosetta continue to amaze me with their astronaut metal. A favorite of mine in the world of post-metal. Utopioid is a beautiful concoction of various metal genres and shoegaze elements that work together to create a journey to find light in complete darkness. I can't stress enough how incredible this band is.

18. Electric Wizard - Wizard Bloody Wizard
Genre: Stoner/Doom FFO: Black Sabbath, Acid King, Black Sabbath again
Related image
Electric Wizard are by far one of the heaviest bands on the planet. If there's one thing they are well known for, its their Sabbath worship. As you can tell by the name of the album, Wizard Bloody Wizard is just as Sabbath influenced as the rest of their releases with the theme of this one being occultism, death, and the afterlife. Anyone who doesn't like Electric Wizard probably doesn't even smoke weed.

17. Unified Right - Straight to Hell
Genre: Hardcore FFO: No Tolerance, Protester, Abuse of Power
Image result for unified right straight to hell
Get over the album cover, I know its dumb. Usually there's at least one hardcore album that makes it on my list every year. What really did for Unified Right was the performance put on at America's Hardcore Fest. I put off listening to the album because of the cover but giving it a chance was definitely worth it. Just straight aggressive hardcore just how I like it no filler. Don't bug me about how high this is on the list, I really enjoyed it.

16. Krallice - Loum
Genre: Avant-Garde Black Metal FFO: Wolves in the Throne Room, DeathSpell Omega
Krallice - Loüm
Krallice actually released two albums this year. Between the two I prefer this one. Loum is another album that constantly makes wonder how Krallice gets away with being so different and remain a black metal band. Their aren't many that can compare to the sound Krallice creates, as each song will make you think "How in the fuck did they write this?". A question I ask myself listening to really any release of the band.

15. Mutoid Man - War Moans
Genre: Post-Hardcore/Psych Rock/Sludge FFO: Torche, Cave in, DoomRiders
Image result for mutoid man war moans
Hardcore supergroup Mutoid Man release another experimental masterpiece. Despite the name, Mutoid Man is a 3 piece with Stephen Brodsky (Cave in ex-Converge), Ben Koller (Converge, All Pigs Must Die), and Nick Cageo. My favorite release of theirs yet. Very fast drum parts paired up with thrashy noise rock influenced riffs but still with heavy sludge parts. The track Wreck and Survive features guest vocals from the Queen, Chelsea Wolfe.

14. Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
Genre: Progressive Sludge Metal/Hard Rock FFO: Baroness, High On Fire
Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
I've been a fan of Mastodon for years and I can't say they have a bad album. Emperor of Sand continues their more progressive direction but reminiscing Crack the skye and actually has a more pop influence to it. I actually remember hearing Show Yourself play on the radio before. Despite the pop influence the album still remains as heavy as the rest of mastodon's releases and is an incredible release nonetheless. 

13. Zola Jesus - Okovi
Genre:Lo-fi/Ambient/Indie FFO: Chelsea Wolfe, Adele
 Image result for zola jesus okovi
Another artist and release I discovered through Roadburn Fest. This album sticks out like no other, I would probably label it "Dark Pop". Zola Jesus has an incredible, powerful, and operatic voice that blares through a dark atmospheric background. I am very surprised to find out that this artist is from Phoenix, Arizona. I could easily see some songs as radio hits if they weren't so dark.

12. Brutus - Burst
Genre: Progressive/Melodic Hardcore/Post-Metal FFO: Protest the Hero, Mutoid Man, Year of No Light
Image result for Brutus burst

Upon reading the Z List, this one stuck out the most to me. Brutus break more boundaries in music than most. I can't believe how incredible  someone could play drums while singing with such passion. Burst displays many different elements of post-metal and hardcore and I swear there is a riff in there I've heard Year of no Light use before.

11. Drab Majesty - The Demonstration
Genre: Post-Punk/Darkwave/Electronic FFO: Cold Cave, Depeche Mode, Joy Division
Image result for drab majesty the demonstration
Another project I can't believe is American. Drab Majesty bring forth the best electronic music released this year. A very dark atmosphere that just makes you think costumes and makeup. In fact, they do wear costumes and makeup. I regret skipping out on seeing them at the Middle East earlier this year. I can only imagine the incredible stage presence and lighting they must've had.

10. The Flight of Sleipnir - Skadi
Genre: Atmospheric Stoner/Doom/Folk Metal FFO: Agalloch, Novembers Doom, Fen
Image result for the flight of sleipnir
I'm gonna say this one earns artwork of the year too. Taking number ten is The flight of Sleipnir's powerful display of Neo folk mixed with Agalloch. This album tells an incredible story of Norse mythology with amazing atmosphere from the instruments. If you miss Agalloch as much as I do, give The Flight of Sleipnir your attention.

9. nothing,nowhere - Reaper
Genre: Emo/Cloud Rap FFO: Lil Peep, Lil Tracy, Basement
Image result for nothing nowhere reaper
I give this a lot of credit. Storytime: my sophmore year at Foxborough High, I entered my "real metal phase" and sat next to this kid, Joe, in algebra. I remember he laughed at my Slayer shirt but we talked about bands like As I Lay Dying and eventually he said " You should check out  a band called Have Heart". This was my first time hearing Have Heart. Back then he would free style in the middle of class and I remeber he had a Biggie acoustic cover on youtube. I never would've thought he would go on to make such incredible music and go on tour with Good Charlotte and Thrice let alone have an album make it in my top ten of the year. Reaper is a great blend of emo and rap and even features a song with Dashboard Confessional. Unbelievable how well he pulls off combining two completely different genres like this. Joe if you're reading this, congratulations. You deserve every bit of success you got.

8.Hundredth - Rare
Genre: Shoegaze/Punk FFO: Title Fight, Swervedriver, Nothing
Image result for hundredth rare

Hundredth introduce a new sound with Rare that took me by surprise. I was never a huge fan of Hundredth but I would never deny their talents. Rare demonstrates a shoegaze sound but still holds the foundation that Hundredth had all along. Best release the band has ever put out. Incredible guitar tones, soothing tremolo picking, and echoing reverbed vocals. Outstanding!

7.  Junius - Eternal Rituals for the Accretion of Light
Genre: Post-Metal/Rock FFO: If These Trees Could Talk, Rosetta, The Ocean
Image result for junius eternal rituals for the accretion of light
Boston's own Junius add to their large discography with Eternal Rituals of the Accretion of Light. Keeping the classic post-rock influence but making it heavier and more on the metal side, Junius will leave you awe-struck with this fantastic display of talent.

6. Wolves in the Throne Room - Thrice Woven
Genre: Ambient/Atmospheric Black Metal FFO: Altar of Plagues, Ash Borer, Drudkh
 Wolves in the Throne Room - Thrice Woven
Releasing yet another flawless record that leaves other black metal in the dust is the duo from Washington, Wolves in the Throne Room. If you've listened to them before, you know what to expect. Thrice Woven shows off their talents well in an incredible display of beauty that makes you stand in a forest at the edge of the earth in the freezing cold. 

5. Ho99o9 - United States of Horror
Genre: Hip Hop/Rap/Hardcore Punk FFO: Death Grips, Bad Brains
Image result for ho99o9 united states of horror
As seen on the Halloween playlist. Ho99o9 are what I consider "Rap for metal fans"considering their sound and the fact that they sometimes play with metal acts. A very unique project combining obscure rap such similar to Death Grips and 80s style hardcore punk, then adding their own beats sometimes with samples from horror movies. The album is very political. Songs like Street Power will make you fight a cop.

4. Wear Your Wounds - WYW
Genre: Ambient/Atmospheric/Indie/Post-Rock/Metal
Image result for wear your wounds wyw
The talents of Converge vocalist Jacob Bannon are showcased in an album that has been years in the making. WYW along with the ep Dunedevil are two amazing albums that will bring so much different images into your mind. Listening to both releases while reading the Dunedevil art book is great activity for a lazy day. I was lucky enough to see the first show this project played in a campground in the woods and then again in Somerville. 

3. Eighteen Visions - XVIII
Genre: Metalcore FFO: Martyr AD, Bloodlet, 7 Angels 7 Plagues
Image result for eighteen visions xviii

The moment I heard 18v was back I couldn't believe it. All I could think was "Is this album gonna be metalcore? Butt rock? That point in between Obsession had?" Shortly after announcing the new album, I read that they were working with Mick Kenney of Anaal Nathrakh, an odd connection but still I got hyped. After hearing the first single 'Oath' I was wicked hyped on it. The entire album is a blend of each era of 18v. Very nostalgic for me and triumphant return for the kings of Orange County. Very thankful I got to see them play. My only wish is that they kept the makeup gimmick.

2. Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
Genre: Atmospheric/Gothic/Stoner/Doom Metal FFO: True Widow, Emma Ruth Rundle, Novembers Doom
Image result for chelsea wolfe hiss spun
The Queen is back! Chelsea brings us a follow up from Abyss continuing the doom metal influnced sound and making it even heavier. Hiss Spun will send you in a trance of doom as Chelsea's incredible voice lulls you to sleep only to have you enter another world where you swear an oath to the darkness. To my surprise, the track Vex features guest vocals from Aaron Turner (ex- Isis, Sumac). Had the pleasure to see her back in October and already got my ticket to see her once more with Ministry in April. Chelsea Wolfe is the Queen.

1. Converge- The Dusk in Us
Genre: Mathcore/Chaotic Hardcore/Post-Metal FFO: Botch, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Isis (the band)

Image result for converge the dusk in us

Let's be honest, you knew this would be my number one. Converge release The Dusk in Us after a 5 year gap since All We Love We Leave Behind. So much passion in one record. The album starts off the same as AWLWLB with a very melodic song, then changes pace with chaotic songs and ballads as the record plays on and ending with a very post-metal sounding song. A 5 year wait for a new album was 110% worth it, and being at the show with the live debut of some of these songs was incredible, and being able to have the mic in my hand singing a line in one of them is a dream come true. Once again Converge prove that they are a very important band in metal, hardcore, and art in general.

God Tier: Big Shaq - Mans Not Hot
Image result for big shaq mans not hot

Big Shaq, the one and only.


Eps, Demos, More Great Releses etc.:

Mourned-Rift Ripper
Field of Vision - Demo
xServitudex - Path to Amnesty
FREE- Ex Tenebris
Minors - Atrophy
Vantage Point - BHC Promo
Fuming Mouth - God of Death
Ecostrike - Time is Now
The Beautiful Ones - Beautiful Cru
Life of Agony - A Place Where Theres no Pain
Infinity Girl - Somewhere Nice, Someday
Krallice - Go Be Forgotten
Drawing Last Breath - Final Sacrifice
Lil Peep (RIP) - Come Over When you're Sober pt 1
Lil Tracy - XOXO
Miley Cyrus - Younger Now
Wear Your Wounds - Dunedevil

No comments:

Post a Comment