Monday, January 15, 2018

True Widow and Kal Marks @ Great Scott

Image result for true widow tour

True Widow brought Boston into another universe at Great Scott. Relapse Records knows the right bands to sign and true Widow's performance proved it. Locals Kal Marks opened the show definitely readied the crowd for what was to come. A great night with great sets from both bands and really felt like a late night in the city.

Kal Marks
Genre: Alt Rock/Grunge FFO: Nirvana, Skin Yard, Tad, Weezer

I had no idea what to expect from these guys. Never heard them, seen them, or even heard the name. I got to Great scott early enough to hear them sound check and just from that, I was dreading the set. Each member walked on stage, the guitarist looked like the classsic plaid wearing 90s grunge kid, the bassist looked like he worked at either nike or Vans, and the drummer looked like an ordinary drummer. The first two songs sounded a little like Weezer but as they went on, they played songs that had that raw aggressive grunge sound you would expect to hear from bands like Tad. I'm sure that sound check song wasn't serious because it sounded very different from these. they would be switching off between alt rock songs and grunge songs. They could've snuck a non single Nirvana cover, like Negative Creep or something, and I would not even notice (definitely a good thing). I remember one of the grunge songs had an abrupt stop and the crowd cheered without realizing it was a long pause. The vocalist looked like he was ready to pass out but probably a full minute later he yelled into the mic with his raspy voice and the instruments followed back into raw grunge. Kal Marks is definitely an experience live and will take you back to the 90s.

True Widow
Genre: Shoegaze/Stoner Metal FFO: King Woman, Cloakroom, Nothing

Welcome to a different dimension is all I can say. I only just found out about True Widow a year or two ago but regardless I was really looking forward to this set being a big fan of both shoegaze and stoner metal. Each member walk out very sharply dressed as the vocalist said "We're True Widow" and began playing. The band played very loud but I feel as the set went on it either toned down or I just got used to it (probably got used to it). You could just feel the bass causing an earthquake throughout your entire body, I swear it could cure heart failure. The vocals for both vocalists were equally filled with reverb that made you think they were standing right next to softly singing into your ear. The atmosphere would trick you into thinking you were in a completely white room sitting alone falling into a trance and slowly putting you to sleep. One thing I just can't get past is that bass. I could compare some parts to when I saw Weedeater last year. True Widow played for an hour maybe a little longer but all the fans were hypnotized by the band until the end. I can't believe how incredible they sounded. For a band that writes music honestly as simple as this, it really shows a huge impact live that make you appreciate it even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment