Saturday, December 30, 2017

The BILLion Dollar List

Image may contain: one or more people
Photo by Meghan McCabe

The series of top releases lists from my friends will conclude with the one and only Billy Mourned. I always look forward to seeing his top albums considering there's always something I wouldn't expect. Ladies and gentleman, we give you the BILLion Dollar List.

10.) Lana Del Rey: Lust For Life
Image result for lana del rey lust for life



Lana never disappoints me. Although I must admit, when the singles for this record dropped, I wasn’t feeling as excited about its release, as both songs sort of underwhelmed me. But of course, I was wrong because this album is incredible. Lana seems to be getting a bit more serious for the most part when it comes to her lyrical themes on Lust For Life and I think that’s a step in the right direction. The plethora of guest features that appear on this record is also fascinating with people like Stevie Nicks, A$AP Rocky, Sean Lennon, and The Weeknd. The production on here is so pristine and it really meshes well with Lana’s mesmerizing vocals. I will never have my doubts again.

Favorite song: Change

9.) Kendrick Lamar: DAMN.
Related image

Honestly, this record really had to grow on me. Kendrick’s last record To Pimp a Butterfly was my #1 favorite album of 2015, so topping that was going to be difficult in my mind. While I don’t think DAMN necessarily achieved that, I still believe it to be a badass album. Tracks like DNA, XXX, Element, and Loyalty are all certified bangers that really go in. Kendrick’s main focus this time around seems to be more on the accessible side rather than getting super deep with his lyrics, but he goes harder than you may have ever heard him go before. Overall, it’s a fun record that is absolutely worth checking out.

Favorite song: Humble

8.) Drab Majesty: The Demonstration
Image result for drab majesty the demonstration

Do you think today’s music sucks and you just wish it was the 80’s again? Do you wish you could just tease up your hair, put on all black, and relive your glory days while listening to The Cure every day for the rest of your life? Well here’s a better solution. Drab Majesty put out a record that sounds like it came straight out of the 80’s and it’s fucking awesome. If you want some of that sweet nostalgia, throw The Demonstration on and have a blast with it! Special thank you to Mark Whelan (Fuming Mouth) for this one!

Favorite song: Dot In The Sky

7.) Spectral Voice: Eroded Corridors Of Unbeing
Image result for spectral voice - eroded corridors of unbeing

Goddamn. This band is unbelievable. Spectral Voice is a slow, reverby, spacey, and terrifying death metal band that just straight up kicks your ass. The fact that the drummer does the vocals both baffles me and pisses me off because I’ll never be that cool. The riffs all over this thing are crushing and you know me, I love a good riff. This record makes me feel as if I’m descending down into a dark cave but the inside the of cave looks like the universe and I have no chance to ever escape. If that sounds like your kinda thing, check this album out.

Favourite song: Dissolution

6.) Grizzly Bear: Painted Ruins
Image result for grizzly bear painted ruins

I just found out about this band this year when my girlfriend Ashley introduced me to them and I couldn’t be happier that she did. I’m pretty new to indie music considering I don’t know much about it, but I fell in love with this band pretty quickly. Painted Ruins is a sweet, fun, and relatively upbeat record that you would listen to while camping in the mountains underneath the stars in the midst of Summer. The smooth and dreamlike vocal melodies that singers Edward Droste and Daniel Rossen serenade you with in every song make it impossible not to smile and sing along.

Favorite song: Three Rings

5.) Bell Witch: Mirror Reaper
Image result for bell witch mirror reaper

This album or... song requires a lot of patience and attention. I can’t imagine putting this record on in any environment other than a dark room by yourself. It is a lonely, dreary, beautiful record that makes you feel alone and hopeless, but in the best way possible. Mirror Reaper is truly a journey through a cold, dark, and isolated place especially considering it is a lament for founding member and former drummer/vocalist Adrian Guerra, but that is what makes this record so honestly powerful.

4.) The Black Dahlia Murder: Nightbringers
Related image
They’ve done it again. Black Dahlia Murder is one of the most consistent death metal bands to ever exist with the fact that they release a new album every two years and the title of each one is always 3 syllables. And maybe the fact that each record is always an absolute banger. Black Dahlia Murder immediately blows your head off, (quite literally since this songs about being a sniper) with the song Widowmaker, which sounds like it came straight off of Nocturnal. Everything from the production, to the lightning fast drums, to newest member Brandon Ellis’ riffs, to Trevor Strnads’ diabolical vocals and lyrics make this the ultimate record for Black Dahlia Murder fans.

Favorite song: Widowmaker

3.) Pallbearer: Heartless
Image result for pallbearer heartless
Wow wow wow. Do I love this album... The second I put this record on, I fell in love with it. “I Saw the End” is such a strong opening track especially with those ascending and descending vocal melodies during the verses. And that one “Ohhh yeeeeah” gets me every time with its Layne Staley-esque feel. I love the mix of slow, emotional sounding instrumentals with the somber, beautiful and sometimes angry sounding vocals all over this record. I’ve always liked Pallbearer but I really feel like this is easily their best album.

Favorite song: I Saw The End

2.) Full Of Hell: Trumpeting Ecstasy
Image result for full of hell trumpeting
If you know me, you know that Full of Hell is one of my favorite bands of all time. I was really anticipating this album for a while and I was not disappointed in the least. Full of Hell churned out some of the meanest and scariest songs they’ve ever written this time around. They also let their death metal influence shine a lot more on this record. Vocalist and lyricist Dylan Walker continues to blow me away time and time again with his inhuman vocal range and incredible lyricism. That’s one of the main factors for my love of this band.

Favorite song: Digital Prison

1.) Mastodon: Emperor Of Sand
Image result for mastodon emperor of sand
Mastodon killed it this year for me because their EP “Cold Dark Place” was my favorite EP of the year as well. I am a firm believer in Mastodon can do no wrong. I literally love every album and yes that includes The Hunter. Emperor of Sand really stuck out to me this year with the incredible choruses, catchy riffs, and harmonies which really hooked me in. Not to mention they returned to their old ways by making this album a concept album which I love. Since Emperor of Sand came out, the CD has not left my car and I’ve definitely listened to it more times than anything else this year. I just can’t get enough. So it definitely deserved my spot for #1.

Favorite song: Word To The Wise

Honorable Mentions:

Run The Jewels: Run The Jewels 3
Field Of Vision: Field Of Vision
SZA: Ctrl
Zao: Pyrrhic Victory 
Glassjaw: Material Control
Converge: The Dusk In Us
Vatican: Ache Of Eternity
Joey Bada$$: All Amerikkkan Badass
Mastodon: Cold Dark Place
Vein: Self Destruct

1 comment: