Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Top Legs of the year 2018



I figured King Legs (aka Paul Cronin) has enough of an open mind to bring some variety as well as records I wanted on this years top lists but probably couldn't fit in the rest. That being said Paul delivered, we are honored to have the list with the nicest legs.


Top 10


10. Cardi B – Invasion of Privacy
Related image
I’m gonna marry Cardi B. I said it and I meant it. I was actually really shocked by how genuinely good this album was. Theres tons of heaters on this piece and for someone who is arguably most famous for her rambunctious attitude, she has genuine musical chops.

9. Mac Miller – Swimming
Image result for mac miller swimming
I regrettably haven’t listened to much of Mac Miller’s stuff before because I never felt the need to. However, I started hearing great things about this record even before his untimely death. I feel stupid for having not listened sooner. This dude had real chops. The production on this album was fantastic, his flow and lyrics were great, and surprisingly, he has a decent singing voice. It sucks that he passed so young. This album was a sign of great things to come from him.

8.  Kids See Ghosts – Kids See Ghosts
Related image
Kanye had a very productive year, releasing five produced albums within five weeks. I didn’t listen to one of them, but the other four were great. My second favorite is this one. Kanye and Kid Cudi came together on a project that, surprisingly, isn’t a total mess. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Kanye’s own album this year, Ye, but this one is better by leaps and bounds.

7. Harms Way – Posthuman
Image result for harm's way posthuman
An early favorite from this year, this is still one of the best metal records I’ve heard in 2018. In my honest opinion, very few metal albums this year have gone above and beyond to impress me; its been mostly hip hop and alternative stuff, but this one beat my pasty ass when I first heard it. Every song is like getting suplexed and the songwriting shows real growth. I love this band.

6. Denzel Curry – TA13OO
Image result for denzel curry ta13oo
This dude is unbelievable. One of my favorite current rappers produced one of the best rap records, a perfect blend of old school influence mixed with modern production and vibes. Makes that Soundcloud rap shit sound pathetic. An incredible range of production as well highlight this album. A must listen for rap fans.

5. Twitching Tongues – Gaining Purpose Through Passionate Hatred
Image result for twitching tongues gaining purpose through passionate hatred
I love Twitching Tongues. Like, LOVE love. A flawless blend of ballads and absolutely ridiculous riffs. This band is one of the few that every time I see them, I legitimately lose my mind. I don’t know what else to say other than I broke a pair of glasses at one of their shows, and (I think) accidentally punched a girl in the back of the head at another. Oops.

4. JID – DiCaprio 2
Image result for jid dicaprio 2 cover
I became aware of this guy because of a feature on Denzel Curry’s album, and Billy (William Nicholls, singer of Mourned, lover of Dark Souls) checked out some of his own songs and showed them to me. They were, uh, insane, so obviously this album was a very exciting prospect. it ended up being one of the best rap albums this year, one of the best rap records I’ve heard in a while, and a throwback to when rap was about lyricism and less about being catchy. Also, the song Off Deez with J. Cole is probably my favorite song of the year. All I know is that I have freaked out many times in my car listening to it.

3. Mike Shinoda – Post Traumatic
Image result for mike shinoda album
Linkin Park is my favorite band so, as most know, I took Chester Bennington’s death pretty hard. Linkin Park was my first musical love and will always occupy that special place in my heart. This album spoke to that very part of me and proved to be the catharsis I didn’t know I needed. While also supplying the heat as Mike usually does, this album’s blunt yet poignant lyrics really let listeners in to what he was feeling during the months after Chester’s death. He let himself be an open book, and that’s what I love about him, and why he will always be one of my favorite artists. Side note: seeing him last month at the HOB was one of my favorites shows I’ve ever been to in my life.

2. Pusha-T – DAYTONA
Image result for pusha t daytona
This album is 7 songs, 23 minutes, and straight heat the entire time. Easily the best Kanye-produced album released this year, every song is insane. The production is top notch, and it is a perfect example of Kanye’s genius, when he wants to employ it. I’ve listened to this album countless times and it gets better every time. I’ve always been aware of Push but this was the year I became a real fan. Also can’t believe he literally killed Drake. Damn. Rest in peace. Too young.

1. Vein – Errorzone
Image result for vein errorzone
Trying to figure out my #1 for this year was tough because there were so many great choices, but ultimately this was the only one that felt truly right. A maddening blend of hardcore, metalcore, and pure insanity, this album is flawless from top to bottom. Not a single bad song on this, and the musicianship from these guys is unbelievable. The future is extremely bright for Vein, and they’ve come a long, long way from the band I saw almost 5 years ago in a basement in NH.

No comments:

Post a Comment