Saturday, December 8, 2018

Cult Leader w/ Primitive Weapons and God Mother @ Great Scott

No automatic alt text available.

    A show that went one until 1 in the morning that I actually stayed for? You know it. Cult Leader put out a monster of an LP this year and I didn't want to miss a thing. Supported by Brooklyn's Primitive Weapons and the Swedish Lunatics God Mother made for an interesting show, definitely not forgetting this one anytime soon.

God Mother
Genre: Mathcore/Grindcore/Crust FFO: Enabler, Torch Runner, Baptists

   So let me start with I've checked out God Mother after seeing their name on one of The Dillinger Escape Plan's final shows and I was impressed by what I heard. However I had no idea what to expect live.
     The band started with the vocalist taking the mic and stand and walking all the way to the front door of Great Scott which I'm surprised the wire was even long enough, and gave the ol' "Hello everyone we're God Mother from Sweden thank you for being here" and immediately began the song. The vocalist was screaming from where he was standing and constantly getting into everyone's face and doing random dances, from karate moshes, to country line dancing, to even ball room dancing. I was constantly looking back and forth from the vocalist to the band and the band had straight chaotic movements as well. Evetually the voclaist would even climb atop the bar, and then jump along to one of the tables on the other side of the room and start swinging from the chandelier.
   They stated "I know we can be obnoxious, but I want you all to know we have free health insurance so you don't have to worry".  He said this was lying down in a sexy pose on the ground. He also stated that they would never disrespect anyone's personal space. After this speech the band began playing, and the voclaist had two members of the crowd hold the microphone wire up and handed the mic to someone else in te crowd. The wire was held like a limbo bar and you guessed it, he got people to limbo.  He grabbed random people near him and limboed linking arms all while the band would play chaotic mathcore, I couldn't tell you waht song it was. I was one of the lucky ones he limobed with. Guess I can say I limboed to blast beats now. 
    All night God mother did crazy shit. One song the mic was getting passed around by people who didn't know the song, The vocalist would climb along the stage lights and hang upside down, even tango with members of the crowd, but for the last song, he somehow crowd surfed with only a quarter of the crowd that would come. I can't get over how incredible this was and it was their first Boston performance. Straight up I didn't think Primitive Weapons had a chance of showing these guys up.

Primitive Weapons
Genre: Progressive Sludge Metal

I was right.

Cult Leader
Genre: Mathcore/Metalcore/Grindcore FFO: Gaza, Dead in the Dirt, Baptists

A huge wave of nostalgia hit me here considering years ago I saw Gaza take this same stage. One reason I knew I had to stay for the whole thing. Cult Leader began at 12:00am on the dot. Last time I saw them was on the final Dillinger tour and the set up was the same, One bright light projected behind the drummer and I'm pretty sure the vocalist was wearing the same thing, a hooded leather jacket. They immediately began with the song I Am Healed. The sound was loud and heavier than I could've imagined. I had to be upfront for this one. The light shinig behind them gave off a dark aroma to the performance, and the vocals were more gutteral than the record. Once again that drummer drums thunder into my soul. That bass drum could start an earthquake. 
    With the chaotic songs of course the band would move spastic and chaoticly, but let me tell you, if you heard the new album, you know about the slow clean songs. This is what I wanted to see. Every instrumentalist in the band stared down at the floor and the vocalist almost looked like he was either wounded in battle trying to get out his last words, or straight up reading a depressing poem. Amazing how I can go from seeing malice and evil in someones eyes into regret and anguish. 
    A band of few words. Cult Leader do something I like and didn't speak between songs to keep the atmosphere alive. The most they did was say the song titles. LIke....Great I Am, which got that pit moving. For the most part all the older songs got a mosh moving, but the real climax of the night, was the last son, A Patient Man. Such small movements from each member for this long song, and such emotion from the vocals. Near the end he took off his leather jacket and began moving the mic as if a heavy part would erupt, but instead the song end with a sudden "Thank you".


No comments:

Post a Comment