Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Neil of Approval 2018



Now that Zach's piece of shit top albums that don't matter is done we can move on to a better one. Ladies and gentleman I give you the Neil of Approval, presented by the great Neil Murray of Field of Vision.


Top 10

10 – Mitski – Be the Cowboy
Image result for mitski be the cowboy
I have always seen the hype behind Mitski but it never clicked with me until this record. 2018 was a phenomenal year for music so making it to my top ten is no easy feat. Her voice is so pure it can melt the day to day pain away. The big moments in this record are huge and I always find them stuck in my head. The lyrical content keeps me guessing what the songs are about. Anyone will like this record. The artwork is beautiful and matches perfectly for what this record encompasses.
Album art: 9/10
Best lyric: Come into the Water: “I didn’t know I had a dream I didn’t know until I saw you.”
Favorite track: Nobody 

9 – Nicole Dollanganger – Heart Shaped Bed
Image result for nicole dollanganger heart shaped bed
Nicole Dollanganger has been at the top of my list to see live for a while and unfortunately, she hasn’t played close to me in a few years. These songs are dark and beautiful and strange. There is a power in her dark story telling that is hard to match. The songs may be fictional, but they are still relatable and heartbreaking. This record did not get as much attention as it deserved, probably because they screwed up everything possible when putting it out. First off, five out of the ten tracks were released in March and then there was no news about when the other half was coming. Finally, in October the whole thing was released with very little marketing. You still can’t buy a physical copy which doesn’t make any sense. Hearing half the record at a time definitely changed the way I think of it for the worse. Oh well, end rant. Listen to it anyway.
Album art: 9/10
Favorite Track: Heart Shaped Bed

8 – Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
Image result for kacey musgraves golden hour
A country singer? On Neil’s list? I know what you’re thinking “what in tarnation”? This record changed everything for me. I’ve always known country wasn’t all yippee Calle and square dancing, but I never knew it could be this good. Every song hits home and is relatable to anyone. Listen to this record to understand the hype. I really hope to see her live and pay less than $50 but I guess she is a big deal now.
Album art: 6/10
Favorite Track: Space Cowboy 

7 – Advanced Base – Animal Companionship
Image result for advanced graves animal companionship
RFC puts out some of my favorite records every year and this year is no different. Animal Companionship hits you where it hurts, everywhere. Some sad music about lost love and life that keeps you coming back for more. This record grew on me a lot more than I anticipated as I had different songs stuck in my head all the time. I finally realized just how good every song is.
Album art: 7/10
Favorite Track: Me & You & The moon 

6 – Superorganism – Self Titled
Image result for superorganism
Another record that took me (and the world) by surprise. I think there’s at least eight members in the band. I was lucky enough to catch them live and it was the closest thing to what I imagine being on drugs feels like. This record is the perfect length and each song flows so perfectly into the next. I am not sure what else to say about this band they are too much to describe with words.
Album art: 8.5/10
Favorite Track: Everybody Wants to be Famous 

5 – Fiddlehead – Springtime & Blind 
Image result for fiddlehead springtime and blind
Another RFC release, this record is special to a lot of people including me. There are elements that make this the perfect soundtrack for cold, cloudy, or grey days. Despite this there is still an element of hope to these songs that provides a good balance of pain and joy. The album art and visuals are perfect, and I hope to see more Fiddlehead music in the future.
Album art: 9.5/10
Favorite Track: Head Hands 

4 – The Beths – Future Me Hates Me 
Image result for the beths future me hates me
Power Pop that rocks your socks off. I think this band is from New Zealand or somewhere close. I wish I knew about this band sooner and I wish I saw them live when they came to Boston this year. Shout out to Andrew for showing me them and being the best. Check out this record for infectious music and a good time.
Album art: 8.5/10
Favorite Track: Future Me Hates Me 

3 – The Berries – Start All Over Again 
Image result for the berries start all over again
Could it be? A third RFC release? Yes. Matt Berry, the person behind Happy Diving, Big Bite and The Berries is a musical genius. The Berries offer an array of sounds ranging from country to indie rock. Every song gives me a nostalgic feeling while still showing me something new. Every song is great, and I don’t know what else more I can say! Listen to The Berries or be a fool.
Album art: 4.5/10
Favorite Track: Lonely Gods

2 – Hop Along – Bark Your Head Off, Dog 
Image result for hop along bark your head off dog
For a while I didn’t want to admit just how much I liked this album. I didn’t think it was good enough to be in my top ten list for a while and then I thankfully came to my senses. This record is insane. The vivid storytelling and unique vocals prove why Hop Along is one of the best bands. The amount of work that must have gone into these songs is mind boggling and I can’t wait to see them live next week! Listen to this one in depth and hear all the little things that make Hop Along special.
Album art: 6/10
Favorite Track: Prior Things 

1 – Vein – Errorzone
Image result for vein errorzone
Vein’s the best band in the world. No record makes me feel the way Errorzone does. There was no way this wasn’t going to be my #1. If this record isn’t on your list, I question you strongly. Get a grip. Vein has a lot of hype around them and they deserve every bit of it and more. I had nothing to do with this record and I’m still proud of it. It feels like a part of me that I will always have.
Album art: 8/10
Favorite Track: (record too flawless to pick)

Best song on the year – Hatchie – Adored
Most anticipated records of 2019
Ghost Chief – Paint Leaves
Fuming Mouth – The Grand Descent
Astronoid – Self Titled
Fury
The Berries
Nails
Drab Majesty
Tomb Mold
Protest the Hero
Praying to my lord and savior (Sandy) Alex G for a ne

No comments:

Post a Comment