Thursday, October 11, 2018

The TA13OO Tour: Denzel Curry w/ City Morgue

Image result for ta13oo tour boston

    Denzel Curry took us all to the darker side of town last night with his unbelievable performance. I knew the moment I finished listening to the newest album that it would be something to see live so of course I couldn't miss out. 
    Beginning the show was a group called City Morgue consisting of two rappers who introduced themselves as: KillaZami and Sosmula. I bet ZillaKami sounds a little familiar right? Any way, these guys were ignorant. There was a projection screen flashing their logo behind them. They had a pretty short set for rap I think clocking out after 30 minutes. Every song ZillaKami would force that pit open and would constantly stage dive. Tons and Tons of energy from these two. At one point, the two of them ordered that the crowd split into two for what he said "a tribute to the best band ever". They pointed two each side and said "You! Fuck them up! And You! Fuck them up!". They began a countdown and to my surprise Spit it out by Slipknot began playing with the two of them screaming along. 
    City Morgue prepared the crowd for the last song and brought multiple people from the crowd on stage only to nose dive back in, the two rappers followed behind while continuing the song. Upon finishing their final song, City Morgue gave one big goodnight as Heretic Anthem began playing with another wall of death spawning forth.
    A single mic stand stood in front of the stage as the projection screen showed a red curtain with the words ACT I. The lights dimmed and after a large applause, Denzel walked out wearing a hawaiian shirt, visor, and tightish black jeans. The curtain on the screen opened as Denzel began Taboo|TA1300, revealing images of Denzel holding Black ballons with a smile on his face in different heavenly backgrounds. If you've listened to the album, you know it works in three acts with the album getting darker as it progresses. He immediately proceeded into the next song on the album and then brought it back with a few older songs. His dancing and movements got more and more fierce the moment he began Sumo|Zumo. As you would expect, the crowd followed suit with each song, bouncing, moshing, and rapping/screaming along. I gotta give this crowd some props, the pit had me worn out to the point that I had to chill on the balcony.
    After Sumo|Zumo, Denzel walk off stage as the lights dimmed once more and the projection curtain closed and presented: Act II. Denzel came back and the curtain opened revealing a black and white background with images of Denzel with his black and white paint (as seen in Clout Cobain|CLOUT CO13A1N). He then began the next song, Switch It Up|ZW1TCH 1T UP with the crowd singing along. Denzel began to actually yell and scream the lyrics and would do the classic hip hop countdown to get more energy flowing. If anything he actually sounded borderline pissed during SUPER SAIYAN SUPERMAN|ZUPER ZA1YAN ZUP3RMAN when yelling "KILL SHIT KLL SHIT MY NAVY SEALS SHIT!" with the beat hitting hard and Denzel's sporadic movements. 
    Before one of my personal favorites of the album, Denzel stated that it is an important one to him and gave his praise to the guest feature J.I.D. That's right, SIRENS|Z1R3NZ. Unfortunately the song was cut short due to J.I.D.'s absence and faded away as Denzel chanted "fists up!'. I don't think there was a bigger sing a long than CLOUT COBAIN|CLOUT CO13A1N. A song about depression is something I'm sure we all relate to. I was deeply amazed at how Denzel goes from aggressive to heartfelt just like that. Almost like flipping a switch. Denzel stated that one song almost didn't make it on TABOO|TA13OO, I don't remember which, but the proceeded to play "The Black Balloons that didn't make it on the album." Denzel walked off once more as the lights dim, and the projected curtain closes.
    The curtain was projected: ACT III. Denzel walked back on stage with his posse this time including City Morgue, as the curtain opens revealling a darker background, this time with Images of Denzel, covered in blood or upside down in a straight jacket. Welcome to hell bitch. As you should know, Act III is the darkest one with his most aggressive songs. I should state he did not play these in order. I thought Denzel was angry before but the speed and anger when he performed PERCS|PERCZ was insane. You could see the darkness in his eyes and his movement was even more spastic and fast. At one point, he yelled X's up at the crowd. This was to honour his fallen friend xxxtentacion. I will put my personal opinion aside about xxxtentacion for the sake of the reader's opinion. I recently learned in Denzel's most recent interview that the two were once roommates/best friends so it only makes sense. he proceeded  to cover two of his songs (I don't listen to xxxtentacion, I don't know the songs) with his image projected on the screen. I'm sure you could guess a majority of the crowd were getting heavily involved as well as Denzel's posse shouting along with their own mics, especially ZillaKami. He then proceeded with the over-memed song Ultimate. I gotta admit, the beat for these songs made me feel like I was seeing a doom metal band with how hard it hit. Denzel yelled at the crowd to split in two, and it parted like the red sea as you hear the beginning to my personal favorite song on the album, BLACK METAL TERRORIST|13 M T. The moment the beat hit and Denzel started rapping, the crowd was anarchy. If you got sucked in, you weren't coming back. The way he was screaming, and the chaotic movements would make you think he's fucking possessed. It was absolutely wild. The song ended the lights shut off and every body walked off stage. 
    The crowd needed more and wouldn't leave until they got it. After much praise and chanting. The prejection screen revealed Denzel's face with blaring red eyes with the word "Encore" beneath it. He proceeded to the stage with his crew once more and played two old songs. I'm sure you noticed what song off Taboo I haven't mentioned. Well guess what, the crowd has been waiting for it all night. That's right, he closed the night with VENGEANCE. The crowd got back into the chaos ensuring one more endless, gigantic pit, and yeah you guessed it, ZillaKami did his guest spot and thats what made me realize who he is. Denzel and ZillaKami were grabbing people on stage and would follow suit in jumping into the crowd. When the song ended, the two placed the mics on the ground and gave them there energy Dragonball Z style as they both walked out.
   What an incredible night. People have mentioned to me how they've seen Denzel upstairs at the Middle East and while I was not there, I'm sure this was just as fantastic and maybe even next level with the visuals. I give Denzel my praise for being a hero that mainstream rap needs with his art.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment