Monday, October 22, 2018

KEN Mode and Birds in Row w/ BEDTIMEMAGIC, and American Ethos @ ONCE Somerville

Image may contain: text

   I can't get over this flier, I love it. Almost as incredible as the show. A fantastic display of talent from each bands that, as American Ethos pointed out, do not have more than three members. I live for chaotic sludge like KEN Mode and Birds in Row I've been a fan of since my junior year of high school. Bonus points to Grayskull for the two openers who fit the bill like a pair of new socks on christmas morning.

American Ethos
Genre: Noise Rock/Hardcore Punk/Post-Hardcore FFO: Unsane, Uniform

So this one's gonna be short because I only caught the last three songs of the set due to my need for pizza (thanks Veggie Crust). American Ethos are more than what I expected, punk with alternate influences. From what I did get to see, the attitude from the music was shown well threw the bands movements. The feedback was loud and blaring only to go straight back into some angry punk rock riffs, and the vocals, gotta love it. Like a teenager beating up a cop with a skateboard. If you dig the odd side of hardcore punk, American Ethos show it off well.

BEDTIMEMAGIC
Noise Rock/Sludge Metal FFO: Kowloon Walled City, Fight Amp, Whores.

These guys were....interesting. Only a drummer and bassist were on stage, but the catch? They both wore a all over print pug face leotard. As silly as this was these guys were wild. Both did vocals, some of those riffs made you question if you were hearing a bass or guitar, and the drummer was also playing an organ. Goddamn! I mean if you're gonna play as a two piece, you really gotta make it worth everyones while, the odd time signatures and drastic changes along with it, the chaotic riffs, and the crazy vocals, these guys had it all. I'm only slightly surprised I'm only finding out about them now. Insane amounts of potential and talent in these two nutcases. Great way to gear us up for the chaos to come.

Birds in Row
Genre: Chaotic Hardcore/Screamo/Melodic Hardcore FFO: Converge, Dead Swans, Ampere

These guys in my opinion stole the show. Holy fuck. If theres one thing I thought I would regret, it was missing these guys at O'Briens, then I heard about this show originally at the middle east, and thought, I think I'd rather see them there. However, moving this show to ONCE was the best move for a band like this. The lighting shined down just behind them with faint colored lights as well and the atmosphere of the ballroom and the curtain behind them just makes the perfect image for them. The way Birds in Row played, you could just feel the passion they had with a hard hit of anguish from the sound and a glimmer of hope from the slower stuff. These guys were pacing back and forth, whipping their guitars around, and the guitarist broke a string after just the first song. They explained that some of their songs revolve around current events, for example how tragedies are hidden by numbers. Luckily for me they did play an old song, "Pilori" and the bands movements during the chaos was just plan spazzy, the bassist whipped his guitar around by the strap, and almost lost grip. Deathwish really knows some talented artists to sign and Birds in Row are a shining symbol of it.

KEN Mode
Genre: Chaotic Sludge Metal/Metalcore/Noise Rock FFO: Fight Amp, Helms Alee, The Dillinger Escape Plan.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay for the whole set. I caught probably the first half hour but again, holy fuck.  Canadian chaotic powerhouse is an understatement. KEN Mode have been a band for almost 20 years and with a ton of albums under their belt, they still got it. It was hard to even comprehend the songs just because of how rediculously sporadic they played. There were songs where they straight up played two basses and no guitar, you straight up could not tell. The sound was super muddy and the noise rock parts were scratchy with the amps blaring out. The sound quality was impeccable. They nailed every sudden time change and the chaotic stage presence is always a plus in my book. There were times where the vocalist would look directly into my eyes while yelling, I'm sure he did it to just about everyone in the venue but regardless what a magical moment. Even for a short probably half set I got to witness, I left more than satisfied and almost shaking from the vibrations. Pretty sure KEN Mode caused a minor earthquake last night.

Spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment