Thursday, March 29, 2018

Primitive Man, Spectral Voice, Scaphism, & Mourned @ the Middle East Downstairs

Image may contain: text

    This show straight up weighed 5000lbs. Primitive Man and Spectral Voice made the earth shake with local support from Scaphism, who I haven't seen in years, and of course Mourned, everyone's favorite. Sound quality was definitely at its best all night for each band.

Mourned
Genre: Death Metal FFO: Dying Fetus, Behemoth, Napalm Death

    I've lost count how many times I've seen these guys play. For the longest time Mourned have been recognized more among the hardcore crowd, despite being a death metal band, but more and more I see them get added to some awesome metal shows and getting a great reaction every time. This show is definitely a highlight for them. 
    I recall a man known as "Legs" telling me " wait till you hear Dave's drums, I could compare it to The Cleansing by Suicide Silence". These words were not lies. The drums were pounding like it was your new heart beat. Those guitar solos were clear as day and metal as fuck. As for Billy's vocals, disgusting and demonic.
    The pause in Ravenous torment caused motion among the crowd to the point where I thought there would be a few fights. Heavy riffs and shredding solos all throughout the set gave off a ton of energy from the crowd. I swear Mourned get better and better each time I review them but this is gonna be a tough one to top, especially since they were getting praise from Primitive Man.

Scaphism
Genre: Death/Thrash/Grind FFO: Abominable Putridity, Haemorrhage

     I haven't seen Scaphism in probably five or six years and not much has changed. If I searched my parents house I could probably find the threeway split between them, Composted, and Boarcorpse. Scaphism still retain that awesome and gross death metal sound chock full of blast beats with a few slams sneaked in. Granted all I really heard from these guys recording wise was on that split but hearing some of the songs they had to offer last night definitely brought me back. 
      Scaphism sounded just as professional as Mourned. The drums were thundering, the riffs were heavy and evil, and the vocals sounded like he would puke any second. I can't say too much about the crowd reaction as I was far in the back just enjoying the music.If you enjoy death metal I would recommend these guys for your next family gathering.

Spectral Voice
Genre: Death/Doom Metal FFO: Undergang, Inverloch, Hooded Menace

    Woah. All I can say. Number one set of the night hands down. Let me set the scene for you, the vocalist/drummer demanded that every light in the venue be shut off leaving only candle light. You have now entered the eroded corridor of unbeing.
    Spectral Voice were destructively heavy, high on my list next to Conan for heaviest live band. You could almost see the vibrations in the air. The vocals were incredibly echoed to the point where it sounded like you were in a cave. Each song more evil than the last, the whole set was very esoteric, you could use a ouiji board and probably re-enact the movie Veronica. 
     Punches were thrown during the slow heavy parts and more ruckus was summoned from the blast beats. People were flying back and forth. There are absolutely no other bands I could compare this performance to. Incredible just incredible. I can still hear those vocals ringing in my head.

Primitive Man
Genre: Sludge/Doom/Drone/Noise FFO: Indian, Lord Mantis, Thou

    This is gonna be a short one. If you know Primitive Man, you know two things: heavy and loud. Thats what you paid for and thats what you get. Everything I said about heaviness with Spectral Voice can also be applied to PM. Primitive Man was definitely 10x louder. You could feel your entire body vibrate like an oldschool gamecube controller. This is tough to give a write up for simply because most songs sounded similar and PM's gimmick is just being really loud. Definitely an interesting experience and worth seeing, just hard to write detail.

Fuck Paul Cronin

No comments:

Post a Comment