Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Lights Out America tour @ Brighton Music Hall

Image result for lights out america tour

Fantastic and chaotic. Ever since I first listened to United States of Horror last year, I knew the album would be high on my list for the year and I've been itching to see HO99O9 ever since. I wish I could've caught 3TEETH but due to my responsibilities as a stupid adult I had to leave early but I promise this review is still worth it, and yes I went full goth jock at this show.
    
    I gotta say, this was my first real industrial show and I didn't feel that much out of place. A colorful cast of characters, mostly goth kids, but a few punks and black metal fans as well and everyone was really into the bands. Only thing I would change is 80% less drinking.
    Street Sects opened the night. I listened to these guys once before and thought "They're probably better live". The first member walked on stage dressed as a cop, like full on, badge, gun, handcuffs, everything. You would've thought he was the real deal. When the bass drop began, the second member walked up looking like a super villain wearing a duster and his gray hair poofing outward. The vocals were incredibly muffled and almost over powered by the bass drops. Dare I say it, I think I could compare it to The Body. 
   The second song, the supervillain went among the crowd holding a REAL chainsaw (chain excluded). He would scream un-amplified into peoples faces and rev the chainsaw at them while the beats would play in the background. When he got back on stage, he would scream even more violently while whipping the saw around, then stood triumphantly when the song was over. For the most part each song was heavy bass drops with different beats throughout, while the vocalist screeched over it all. Eventually He removed his wig revealing he was bald and everyone cheered. They only played I believe like 4 or 5 songs but the performance was what made it. I think I count this as my first rave as well.
    Now HO99O9 was the project I needed to see. Al the lights shut down except for one. theOGM walked on stage towards his soundboard, and then began the theme from Halloween. He began rapping the song "Street Power" and then Eaddy walked up to the front of the stage glaring at the crowd with his colourless eyes. Then you heard the words: "KILL FOR POWAH!" and Eaddy jumped into the crowd the moment the drums began and a mosh pit was started. Of course for the punk songs, the guitar and bass was sampled, however there was a live drummer and damn could he drum. 
    With the energy these kids had, they could fit right in at the average Boston hardcore/punk shows, if not a little more chaotic. The entire set was just wild. HO99O9's merch guy was even in the pit filming the whole thing. Aside from the punk songs, the creepy rap songs were just as ignorant and raw as they are on record. What really does is the energy that the two MC's have when performing, headbanging into oblivion, shouting like maniacs, and the miscellaneous antics Eaddy would pull . They stated "It don't matter if we play to two or two hundred, we still give our all". 
   Now if we're talking stage antics, Eaddy would stage dive multiple times throughout the night. Eventually he got out in the crowd and made a gesture that looked like he was parting the Red Sea. Eaddy said " The moment it drops, show me what you got Boston" He let out a bloodcurdled screech and it looked like the crowd charged him like an old school game of kill the man with the ball. Eaddy was panting getting back on stage and "Alright Boston you passed, A fucking plus". The highlight of Eaddy's antics was definitely in the next song which was more of a rap song where he jumped and climbed the rafters like it was nothing. He just sat there for a while rapping his part, and then drop the mic to a girl standing up front, then jumped from the rafters into the crowd and some how got the mic back, WHILE CROWDSURFING, and finished the song.
    theOGM introduced everyone including the live drummer who he said has two nicknames but only explained one: Corrupt. He stated "He's a good kid, but we are trying to fuck his life up." and the second being Gator. He also said, for anyone who didn't already know, their name is pronounced "Horror" not "Hoe-99". I could see theOGM almost tear up when he said that music is his only freedom because we are restricted from politics religion, etc. They had one more song, and it was a cover of "Attitude" by Bad Brains.
    Infuckingcredible. I'm calling it number one of the year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment