Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Conan w/ The Ditch & the Delta, and Churchburn @ the Middle East Upstairs

Image may contain: text

     Absolute sonic destruction wielded by UK heavyweights, Conan, crushed the Middle East into oblivion. I've seen some heavy bands but this was something else. Joining them was The Ditch & The Delta, a band I believe most were unfamiliar with including myself, and Rhode Island doom devils Churchburn. This show was so heavy and loud you could probably hear it from miles away.

Churchburn
Genre: Sludge/Doom Metal FFO: Noothgrush, Grief, Brainoil

   Despite being from Providence, Churchburn are no strangers to the Boston metal crowd. A great beginning to the show. Churchburn played their evil sludge metal sound just as you would expect others to, long 5-7 minute songs, each heavier than the last, but with a few riffs that somewhat remind me of something Death would write hammered into the music adding an occult flow into the atmosphere. I can't help but point out how muddy that bass sounded. I definitely mean that in a positive way. The bass paired up exceptionally well with the drums making you think that a nearby church was probably well....burning. Churchburn played a few new songs that that keep their natural sound in check. 

The Ditch and the Delta
Genre: Sludge/Doom Metal FFO: High on Fire, DoomRiders, Khemmis

    I have asked multiple people I knew at the show if they heard these guys and every single one said no. After they played, everyone was amazed. I want to say these guys were like early Mastodon, but I would be off. Like the other bands playing, these guys were heavy. Heads up, you're gonna see the word "heavy" a lot in this post if you haven't figured it out. When the band got on stage, my first thought was "these guys look like they're naturally always drunk and aren't affected by alcohol". When they played, It was like Doomriders decided to play slower and open a blackhole on stage. Definitely impressive. Just about everyone enjoyed the band just as much as I did. Fun Fact: According to The Ditch and the Delta, "Utah" is actually pronounced "Yu-tahr". Very interesting.

Conan
Genre: Stoner/Doom FFO: Monolord, YOB, Cough

     If I were to name they heaviest bands I've heard live, I would say: Windhand, Suffocation, Full of Hell, Deftones, Neurosis, The Body, Saint Vitus, and maybe Cloakroom. I think after last night, Conan might be the number one contender. They played so loud I could feel my entire body vibrate to the point where I was starting to get sick and feel like I was gonna puke. Conan live up to their label "caveman doom" in more ways than one. The guitarist's Ozzy sounding vocals sounded even more powerful than they do on record and the bassist's low warcry was echoing like the venue was a cave. You would think they were leading an actual army to war. The crowd reflected the sound and created a battleground of neanderthals fighting over who gets to eat the mammoth steak. Absolutely wild. The drums were thunder, the guitar and bass were hammers, the vocals were savagery. You would think you were watching a viking documentary. Welcome to 10000 BC where everyday is a battle, you must kill to survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment