Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Marilyn Manson @ House of Blues

Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

       The freak show finally made its way to Boston. This was one hell of a show. After being postponed for 4 months, the wait was 100% worth it. This was my first time seeing Marilyn Manson and as blown away as I was, most considered this a half-assed performance, but still phenominal nonetheless.
        I've first became a Manson fan at a young age like most, I recall my aunt giving me a list of metal bands to listen to one of them being Manson. I heard The Beautiful People and it terrified me and I was hooked. Ever since I've watched live performances and I was amazed and hated christianity from then on. Accompanying me to the show was my long time friend, Connor, who worships the ground Manson walks on and has seen him three times now. He showed me a video he took when Manson opened for Slipknot and he stood upfront on a podium, cut himself with a beer bottle and burned a bible. After seeing that I knew I needed to see him live despite what venue it is, so when I heard about the original date in October we both knew we'd be going.
    Some random DJ warmed up the crowd playing heavy metal hits, afterwards you saw nothing but curtain, and I swear nothing happened for a good hour. Eventually the lights dimmed and you heard someone yell "BOSTON!!" and the crowd screeched with joy. Curtain hasn't risen yet but over the speakers began what Connor said was $uicideboy$ for a short period until you heard once more: "BOSTON!!". The song change to something I didn't recognize. After another short period we heard "BOSTON!!" once more and Cry Little Sister began playing. Connor and I looked at each other knowing what happens next. Surely Enough we hear the words: "The World is an ashtray" and the curtain fell revealing Manson sitting on his throne with two gigantic pistols on each side and the double inverted cross banners on each side of the stage. I cant get over that he opened with The Reflecting God. During the pre chorus, he rose from the throne and approached the crowd screaming looking like he was puking on the crowd. Manson fans are always screaming along with so much passion.
        Immediately after The Reflecting God, Manson said: "Deep Six" then proceeded to play his new song deep six. Two people dressed in surgeon uniforms walked on stage and appeared to be trying to tell him something. Manson shoved them off and just said "These guys are fucking worthless all they're good for is drugs..." and the crowd cheered for him. You could honestly tell how cocked he was just from that one statement. The doctors walked off stage and Manson began the song "The New Shit" and the crowd reaction was EXACTLY like the video. It honestly felt like I was watching the video. Manson would constantly be doing some antics like throwing the mic stand to the ground, throwing mic , swinging the mic and even throwing random things into the crowd, one of them being Kanye looking shutter shades.
     Eventually the doctors came back out and gave him a fedora. He walked up to the mic and said "We came for the fucking mOBSCENE". Manson threw the fedora in the crowd and two new banners dropped showing a picture of Manson dressed in a tux wearing a bandana over his face and hold a machine gun. the Entire crowd chanted: "Be obscene!" at full volume.
     Manson performed another new song, Kill4me, and then stood on stage with an empty look on his face and said, "We're gonna get biblical, Revelation 12". Manson sat back in his throne with nothing but one red light shining down on him, and the chair began to circle around the stage. Everything about just seemed unnatural, he rose and began the song. When the time came, he began talking about drugs once more praising them and saying "I don't like drugs but the drugs like me, I mean this is The Dope Show". Manson walk away as the crowd cheered and the came back wearing another pair of shutter shades and a thick feather coat (hopefully fake feathers) and began The Dope Show.
      The lights shut of, and music that you hear play in a horror movie began playing, the backdrop fell revealing a new one that looked like a child scribbled all over it, but if you looked closely you could see his inverted cross logo multiple times drawn like a toddler did it. Manson walked out holding a lantern and the guitar riff in Sweet Dreams began. The way he sang the bridge of the song was very creepy with his spastic movements and hoarse vocals. The crowd screamed in excitement and shouted every word. It was incredible. Manson played a few new songs and a short snippet of Lunchbox and walked off stage awaiting an encore.
      Manson came back and played The Nobodies constantly pointing the mic into the crowd while the crowd sang their anthem. After that endless praise from the crowd continued, Mansons bassist walked over to him holding his bass up to Manson's face. Manson started tapping it and eventually played the drum beat of The Beautiful People. The drummer followed suit and began playing the song. If you know Manson, you know The Beautiful People, I mean everyone their certainly did. I don't know who was louder, the crowd or Manson. You could see the fire in his eyes, in the right light you could say he had the eyes of a killer, and his movements with the chorus would make you think he was having a seizure. A perfect way to conclude his performance was with this song.
     So as my first time seeing Marilyn Manson, I gotta say I'm impressed considering he just came back from having however many broken ribs. I'm sure his act is gonna be even better next time. I can't help but say it, he was so fucked up this night and still played flawlessly, I've seen so many talented bands play drunk, on acid, stoned, you name it I've probably seen it and 2/3 times it's awful, but Mr. Manson really pulls it off and I'm astounded he can.

No comments:

Post a Comment