Sunday, July 14, 2019

Magic Circle w/High Command and Sweet Heat @ Great Scott

Image result for magic circle great scott

Heavy metal madness returns to Great Scott. Local favorites, Magic Circle and High Command tore it up with special guests Sweet Heat. This one was a late runner but well worth it. I think its been a whole year since I last saw High Command and a few years since Magic Circle. Get ready to step into a portal to the world of knights, dragons, and steel!

Sweet Heat
Genre: Heavy/Traditional Metal FFO: Balck Sabbath, UFO, Rainbow

I was late arriving to this set due to the overdosage of Roxy's I was craving, however I am very glad I could catch at least some of it. Sweet Heat is the type of hard rockin' blues influenced metal band that sounds straight out of the 70s. Guarantee my heavy metal aunt would love this shit. Soulful vocals with a bluesy guitar finish and even with solos. You don't see that too much anymore. This is the ind of blast from the past that reminds you of the bands your parents showed you before you knew what music was. This is rock n roll! God damn do these guys do it right. The crowd was all for it, head banging and cheering, like it really was the 70s. Granted they were the opening band so not much movement nor too many people but I really hope they got their name out there.

High Command
Genre: Thrash Metal/Crossover FFO: Slayer, Power Trip, Testament

High Command really show off the reason they got signed to a big label. Once again they begin with the classic "We're High Command" while holding up a sword  The moment that riff starts. you are in a battle of steel on horseback. Straight up if you can name a band out of Mass that thrashes harder than these guys, I will personally give you 50 bucks out of my own pocket. There were kids flying back and forth for every song that literally made me ask my self "Do these kids run on kinetic energy or something?". Its like they were training for a sporting event. Gonna say that the best part of High Command's sound was the reverb in the vocals, I don't think they had that at the Integrity show. I don't know what it was but somehow with no lights or special effects, the band just gives off this aura that makes the atmosphere perfect. Like I didn't even feel like I was in a bar. High Command go full force and give 100% every time I have seen them and I don't think that will change.

Magic Circle
Genre:Heavy/Doom Metal FFO: Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Cathedral

Then of course we have Magic Circle. A crowd favorite amongst Massachusetts metal. I will admit, I was hoping as a headliner they would have some sort of lighting effects but unfortunately they did not. Nonetheless this does not subtract from the sound or energy they gave off. It really does amaze me the way the vocalist hits those octaves. The band was in constant motion moving with the riffs and the crowd followed suit. honestly for the most part their was much movement in the crowd other than headbanging, aside from a small pit during Lightning Cage. The big reason to see magic circle is the heaviness of the band and the passion from the musicians. Like High Command, the revrb in the vocals is another good effect and with the range of his voice, the band sets the atmosphere to a similar fantasy background. Pretty cool to see these guys play in a bar rather than the Middle East this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment