Friday, September 21, 2018

Emma Ruth Rundle & Jaye Jayle @ Great Scott

Image result for emma ruth rundle on dark horses

    Always an adventure seeing the wonderful Emma Ruth Rundle perform. Joined by her familiar Jaye Jayle made for quite a showcase of both darkness and beauty. I have witnessed both artists before: Emma with Deafheaven and This Will Destroy You, and Jaye Jayle with OathBreaker and Sannhet. This night definitely blew the previous performances away.
    Jaye Jayle I am still not entirely familiar with but I do enjoy the atmosphere the music brings. A very dark aroma fills the room with his haunting voice and rather mellow instrumentals. It was like reading a scary story as a young child. A good warm up for the night considering Emma writes similar music.I gotta give him credit for the appearance as well. You know how in certain television series, a character may have a near death experience and may speak to the devil or the reaper and it turns out to be a dashing man dressed very nice? Consider that Jaye Jayle.
    Now I said already that I saw Emma open for Deafheaven, but believe it or not, this night was next level. She walked out, introduced herself and began playing and the entire crowd including myself was hypnotized. This was a rare night that I thought I could survive without earplugs and Emma's volume was just below pounding, basically ideal but you could still feel the sound surrounding you. Skipping out on the plugs really made it a full experience. 
    Emma performed with a full band that included Jaye Jayle, and I believe she said members of her band Marriages (I apologize if I misheard). The instrumentals made every song borderline sound like I was listening to a melodic Russian Circles song with Emma's b e a u t i f u l voice singing over it. I noticed as well Jaye Jayle was playing slide guitar (I believe he was with his own band as well). 
    With the instrumentals sounding this way, "Marked for Death" sounded actually heavy when the chorus came in. Almost as if the scenery around you changes. One second you're at Great Scott, the next your in a meadow at dusk, then an abandoned house, the song ends and boom you're back at Great Scott. I always have some kind of imagery come to mind when I see a project like this, Emma really paints an incredible picture with it.
    Emma is an incredible musician and songwriter. Her performance this night was just straight magical no other way to describe it. You can Tell she puts as much passion into performing as she does recording. I highly recommend her newest album "On Dark Horses" and catching her when she comes to your area. You will see life a different way. Magical.



No comments:

Post a Comment