Monday, June 11, 2018

Full of Hell & Gatecreeper w/ Goolagoon, and Limbs Bin @ Sonia

No automatic alt text available.

   Full of Hell brought their audio destruction to our ears at Sonia in Cambridge. Joining them was death metal warriors from the desert, Gatecreeper along with local favorite, Goolagoon, and Limbs Bin. A colorful cast of characters ranging from metal kids to crust punx, making the pit quite a warzone with a nearly sold out crowd.

Limbs Bin
Genre: Noise FFO: Merzbow

"Don't really like noise, I really just prefer silence"
                   - Dr. Paul "Nice Legs" Cronin M.D.

Not much I can really say about this set. Limbs bin was one guy screaming into two mics while blaring loud distortion. Not gonna lie it was better than the last noise set I've seen (Some guy that opened for Siege) but I can't understand the enjoyment of a noise set. Furthermore, he came on stage and said "I hate Boston and wish none of you were here". Quite the intro, but I give him bonus points for the Lana Del Ray shirt he was wearing. Can't really complain considering he only played for barely 10 min.

 Goolagoon
Genre: Powerviolence FFO: ACxDC, Sex Prisoner, Punch

   I was really curious to see what Goolagoon had to offer. I remember hearing the name back in the day thinking, it must be one of those not serious bandcamp projects, but after seeing that they were playing Maryland DeathFest I think last year, I think they deserved my attention. For someone like me who hasn't really been into powerviolence since high school, I was impressed by the sound. Goolagoon came on stage introducing themselves then said "Shoutout to the queers who came out". The vocalist was off stage in the crowd and the moment they began, the crowd immediately responded and caused all out punk chaos. Circle pits all around, kids slamming into each other, and the slow riffs...I'm sure you could guess. The drums  and strings were violently fast and still slow and destructive, while the vocals were barked viciously.  They did also include a cover that I did not recognize. Goolagoon defiinitely earned their rep in their home. Gotta say I never would've expected a Spongebob themed powerviolence band could be this good. If you've read my reviews before, you know I suck at reviewing punk and hardcore so i'll end it here before I get repetitive and stupid. Goolagoon will be playing again with Dropdead, Think I Care, Wound Man, and So Be It at Hardcore Stadium, June 30th, more than likely I'll be there, less than likely I'll write it up.

Gatecreeper
Genre: Death Metal FFO: Genocide Pact, Bloodbath, Blood Incantation

   Gatecreeper never disappoints. When it comes to newer death metal bands, these guys are one of the best ones live and I won't let anyone forget it. I could say this was very similar to the show they played with Nails and Toxic Holocaust at the Middle East. Sound quality was perfect, and the crowd was energetic. There's nothing more metal than a death metal vocalist shouting "Circle pit!" while every members face is covered by layers of hair. Gatecreeper's setlist included a good mix of Sonoran Deprivation and their split with Iron Reagan ending strongly with the song "War Has Begun". The crowd reaction to "Craving Flesh" just gets better and better everytime. The pit was a bloodstained ground through the entire set. Chase's growls were even more demonic than normal, and those riffs were just plain evil nothing else to it. As usual the whole set sounded like you were listening to the recording  but you can't beat the experience with the atmosphere they bring. Give Gatecreeper your attention, again they are one of the best sounding live bands, you can't prove me wrong.

Full of Hell
Genre: Noise/Grind/Death Metal/Hardcore FFO: Nails, Dead in the Dirt, Trap Them

   Full of Hell is a different experience than most when you see them live. The moment they began, it just felt like the venue entered a different plane of existence. I was really curious of FOH's set considering I've never seen them headline before, despite this being my fourth time seeing them. Out of all of their performances I've seen, this was number one, dare I say, some next level shit. If there's one thing that makes a Full of Hell show, it's Dylan's chaotic, spastic, demonic, violent, motions while he screeches. It's actually horrific and almost concerning. Half the time his tongue was sticking out and his vocals were even more disgusting than usual, I was convinced he would puke at least 3 times. He would constantly give the mic to fellow disgusting death metal vocalist, Billy Nicholls (Billy Mourned) who was in the crowd to see his favorite band. If you know Mourned's lyrics, you can tell where Billy gets his influence. Pretty sure every time I've seen FOH, I was with Billy and he always did guest vocal, what a guy. The pit was a war between hardcore kids and metal kids and I couldn't even tell what was happening or who was winning. The mic rushes came for both "Crawling Back to God" and "Gnawed Flesh" screaming those evil words that we all know, I could almost compare it to a hardcore show, kids were starting to pile up. Dylan would be a clown in between songs saying stuff like "This next song is called: *coughs*" or "This song is for you (points at Billy Mourned)" you wouldn't think he would even be like this based on how  he is performing. All around, this set was destructive and evil as ever and as I said before best set they've played. Before the set, Billy, Dr. Paul "Nice Legs" Cronin M.D. and I were actually hanging with Dylan discussing video games, primarily Dark Souls and Bloodborne because we're not pussies.

No comments:

Post a Comment